Friday, January 7, 2011

Out Of The World CNY Cookie

I wanted something extraordinary for my CNY cookie, so i made these.......


Let me present to you my newest creation.....(the name is kinda of long so please put up with me) Grand Marnier Vanilla Bean Sugi Cookies!! hahaha ever since my sis got the bottle of Grand Marnier for me at the airport, i had been using it every chance i got to incorporate it into my baking. Well so what do you think of my newest creation?? Extremely yummy, the fragrance and taste of vanilla beans got me gasping (the taste of grand marnier is not prominent though i think it enhances the vanilla bean flavor instead), hard, crunchy and crumbly. Give them a try! its easy to make, but make it for your own consumption, lol giving them to relatives may indent a big hole in your pocket, so i'm not intending to make these for my relatives no matter how yummy they are!

the dough after kneading don't you just love vanilla beans?

I'm submitting this to the Aspiring Bakers #3 My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011), details can be found here. All are welcome to join!

Grand Marnier Vanilla Bean Sugi Cookies
(adapted and modified from QBB website)

Ingredients

250g ghee
2 sticks vanilla bean
2 tsp grand marnier
500g self raising flour
130g icing sugar

Method
  1. Use a paring knife to split the vanilla beans lengthwise, then turn the knife over and use the dull edge to scrape the seeds into a medium saucepan, add in ghee and melt over low heat. Add in grand marnier and set aside to cool.
  2. Sift flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl, pour the cooled ghee mixture into the flour mixture and knead well to form a soft dough.
  3. Preheat oven to 170°C, line a cookie pan with aluminum foil (x2) (as the bottom of the cookies gets char easily during baking). 
  4. Roll dough into ball sizes of your choice and place into small paper cups and place them on the lined cookie pan.
  5. Bake for 20-25mins till cooked but not brown, the cookies should be white and crumbly in texture. (look on your cookies after baking for 15mins, as they get browned easily.)   

46 comments:

CaThY said...

Wow looks yummylicious *^_^*

j3ss kitch3n said...

lol! Cathy i hope i have enough left by sunday to bring to you and hanushi!

Christine Ang said...

Hi,

Very tempting cookies. May i know how many gram of your dough to fit in the small paper cups?

Best Regards
christine

j3ss kitch3n said...

Hi Christine, i didn't measure the dough but it should roughly be around 6-8grams each hope this helps!

Cook.Bake.Love said...

Wah this is high-end sugi cookies. haha.

j3ss kitch3n said...

lol angela yeah lor really high end haha!

Yummy Koh said...

I have not bake anythying with vanilla beans before? Where to buy? Phoon Huat? But I know its an expensive ingredient - dont finish all ya - cny I come and visit you and sample it at the same time. haha

j3ss kitch3n said...

Chris yup yup in the fridges of phoon huat together with the rum/peppermint essences! i bought 10 sticks in a packet for $10! haha ok i will leave some for you!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

很特别很精致呢~

Jet said...

Looks so good! It must be really fragrant and heavenly melt-in-mouth sensation. Thanks for sharing!

Ah Tze said...

Jess, your new creation is interesting!

j3ss kitch3n said...

鲸鱼,呵呵是很特别,也是好昂贵!

Jet hehe hope you like them!

Ah Tze, haha interesting and expensive creation!

Bake for a Queen said...

Wow! These are definitely melt in your mouth cookies. Will be one of my favorite cookies thats 4 sure.

j3ss kitch3n said...

Nancy! hope you get to try them soon!

hanushi said...

Wow, these cookies look really addictive n yummy. Haha... Well done, Jess.

j3ss kitch3n said...

hanushi hehe thanks! you and cathy will be the 1st to try it this sunday! =D

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm...gorgeous! They look so fine textured. I don't think I can stop at one once I start :D

Sharon said...

Oh simply beautiful!! Gotta love vanilla beans, they make such a difference. Great photos too, these look scrumptious!

lena said...

jess, cookies with oommph! very nicely baked too!

j3ss kitch3n said...

Mary how i was i could pass some to you and sharon to try them out!

Sharon thank you! =D

Lena thank you! =D

dinewithleny said...

wow another great recipe for CNY cookies. thanks for the recipe.

Jean said...

looks lovely! i like how the vanilla pods speckle on the cookie and make it look so vanilla ice cream-ish

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

The snowy white cookies look so delectable. The hint of Grand Marnier must have also worked its magic!

j3ss kitch3n said...

you are welcome Leny!

Jean haha they taste seriously good try it!

Shirley yup the grand marnier worked its magic on the intense flavoring!

Little Inbox said...

I would like to call it snowy cookies. :P

neyeeloh said...

I've never tested grand marnier before, very curious...

j3ss kitch3n said...

esther hmmm grand marnier in baking brings out the flavor! hmmm perhaps i can make some for you to taste?

j3ss kitch3n said...

little inbox hehe looks like snow don't they?

tracieMoo said...

my gosh they look so cute! Sounds incredible too :D

Talita said...

And you did it! These treat are absolutely extraordinary! Look so yummy.

j3ss kitch3n said...

tracie thank you!

talita thanks for dropping by!

dailydelicious said...

Your cookie looks soooooo good!

Pei-Lin@Dodol and Mochi said...

Wow! The name itself has already blown me away! *LOL* I wanna get Grand Marnier myself, too!

I doubt I'll get myself into an uber-tiring and crazy schedule this CNY with overdose of baking and baked goods since I'm already busy enough. Maybe two or three cookies or some kuih-muih or dishes will do. I'm so looking forward to my reunion dinner! =)

Jess @ Bakericious said...

Jess, I wish I can have some now :)

♥LOVE2COOK♥ said...

Tempting cookies ya! Feel like grabbing some over now ;)

Zoe said...

Using ghee for cookies is new to me. Love the vanilla beans in the cookies...wow!

j3ss kitch3n said...

Pei-Line lol thanks ah! hope you enjoy your reunion dinner!

Jess haha anytime let me know!

Love2Cook hehe please grab as much as your want!

Zoe thanks hope you try them out!

love melody, love baking said...

hihi! thx for your nice comments on my HK kueh bangkit... I think u made many lovely cookies and cakes :) Can using premix also qualify for the Aspiring Bakers? My colleague keep saying i m 'cheating' coz i m using premix.. haha

j3ss kitch3n said...

melody haha premix is ok lah there is also other ingredients right? i never seen cookies premix before yours is unique.

Joelyn~幸福の起点 said...

hi jess, sorry may i know what is :marnier ?thanks:)

j3ss kitch3n said...

joelyn thanks for dropping by! grand marnier is an orange liqueur. =)

Joelyn~幸福の起点 said...

ooohhh...got it got it...thanks for sharing.have a nice days :)

j3ss kitch3n said...

you are most welcome i will post a pic of the grand marnier in my next post when i bake the cake =)

Chunky Cooky said...

your cookies looks gorgeous ! I want to try these after CNY ! ^-^
Can I know roughly how much cookies your recipe will yield ?

j3ss kitch3n said...

Chunky Cooky approximately 50-70 depending on the size you make =)

olivia said...

wow beautiful cookies...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...