I have this hate-love feeling with pineapple rolls/tarts from my past experiences in baking them:
1. the pastry is too soft to handle even after refrigerating, by the time i manage to encase the fillings into the pastry, it has started to melt and after baking they went out of shape.
2. when the pastry is easy to handle the taste and texture is not what i want, either they are too sweet or too milky and not those melty kind.
Then i found this recipe! the dough is easy to handle, no refrigeration needed and they are very very melty look at the photos and you will know what i meant.
The pastry falls apart the moment i cut it open even my mum who doesn't eat cny goodies commented that it's very melty! and she also say its not sweet! if you have not started baking your pineapple rolls/tarts perhaps you wana give this recipe a go.
I'm submitting this to the Aspiring Bakers #3 My Favorite CNY Cookie. Details can be found here.
(adapted and modified from QBB website)
Bake King ready made pineapple paste, rolled in balls (i scoop the paste with a tsp and roll into balls)
50g icing sugar (reduced to 30g)
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (omitted)
1/4 tsp salt (omitted)
350g top flour
50g corn flour
1 egg yolk - for glazing
1/4 tsp salt - for glazing
1 tsp water - for glazing
- Using a hand whisk, cream QBB and sugar until light. Whisk in egg yolks 1 at a time until well combined. Add essence and salt and whisk until fluffy.
- Sift top flour and corn flour together and fold into the QBB mixture to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough using a tsp and roll into balls.
- Flatten a piece of dough and place a piece of the roll pineapple paste in the middle. Bring the edges of the dough together and press lightly to seal. Roll it in between your palms to shape it into a roll.
- Place rolls on baking tray lined with parchment paper or paper casing.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk, salt and water together for the glaze.
- Brush the glaze on the pineapple rolls with a brush.
- Bake in preheated over of 180C and bake for 20-25 mins or until the rolls are pale golden brown.
- Cool on wired rack before storing in airtight container.