Enough digressing, i wanted to share this cookie with all of you, 1 of the most common CNY cookie, but they are really delicious, as per my title they are crunchy and melty! Now if you always do last minute CNY baking like i do then please bookmark this because this cookie is really easy to make and with minimal ingredients!
The smell of almonds filling your house during baking makes you want to eat them immediately and they definitely do not taste as sweet as those almond cookies you buy outside.
I can't remember where i got this recipe but the year of my document marks 2004, lol ya i am stalking bloggers that early! long before i started my own, my document says its from Phoon Huat Demo Class if you do know where's this recipe from please help me to link it! thanks!
I'm submitting this to the Aspiring Bakers #3 My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011), details can be found here. All are welcome to join!
(makes approximately 50 cookies)
150g self raising flour
80g icing sugar (reduced to 60g)
80g ground almond
80g diced almonds
100g corn oil
1/2 tsp almond essence
Egg yolk for brushing (omitted)
- Sift together flour and icing sugar, add in ground almond and diced almonds, mix well.
- Mix almond essence into corn oil and stir well.
- Mix both ingredients together to form a soft dough. (the dough will come together when you roll them so don't worry about it being crumbly)
- Shape into small round balls and place into small paper casing and press it slightly.
- Brush with egg yolk and decorate with toppings of your choice and bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 15-20mins or until slightly brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack before storing into airtight containers.