Friday, July 23, 2010

Steamed Custard Pau 2

It’s weekend again I realize I always post on weekends I guess that’s the only time when I could find the time to bake and cook and this week is an extremely tiring week busy bee I have been hahah…
 
In my previous post of Steam Custard Paus I mentioned that my pau’s skin is overly tough and I was so disappointed and thanks to Quinn’s comment (thanks Quinn) and her link to a Steamed Pau With Salted Egg Yolk Lava from The Star Online. I made these again tonight and very cautiously, this time I kneaded the dough with my hands instead of my stand mixer and the results yielded is definitely a successful one the skin is soft and fluffy but I failed in the custard again it was not flowy custard again, when I mixed the fillings batter it was so watery that I had a hard time sealing the pau I wondered where did I went wrong again but still I am happy with the results soft fluffy skin and the sweet savoury filling....
 


Recipe link taken from The Star Online here.

2 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Have you tried chilling the fillings before you used it to fill the buns?
Chilling will firm it up.

Sometimes I even freeze my fillings so that it is solid when I wrap it up. When it's solid you can just cut into cubes or let it soften a bit, scoop with ice cream scoop so that it's rounded, and freeze til solid again. But proofing may take longer after that, as the fillings are cold, but hey, it's worth the effort for easy to wrap buns

j3ss kitch3n said...

i left in it the freezer an hr b4 i made the buns but the weird thing was its still watery and after steaming it became solid lol...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...