Saturday, September 11, 2010

Swiss Roll Bombe - A Birthday Cake

I never liked baking birthday cake because my decorative skills are horrid and also partly i don't want to crack my head over what and how to decorative haha.. with all my recipes books pile up high in front of me i flip through every page hoping to find a birthday cake which i can bake with no complicated decorations and of course no such luck sigh.... so i went online surf through the net and i found this Swiss Roll Bombe from Une Gamine dans la Cuisine which she baked for The July 2010 Daring Bakers challenge hosted by Sunita's world - life and food.

Swiss Rolls outside ice-cream inside yummy!!!





This cake was perfect the combination of cake and ice-cream perfect for the hot weather now, i play cheat though i did not make the ice-cream myself the limitation of time and laziness haa.. i used Hagen Daz mango and passion fruit & chocolate midnight cookies ice cream for the fillings hehe.. just make the swiss roll topped with blueberry jam roll and cut arrange in a glass bowl and spoon the softened ice cream into it and you will get a swiss roll bombe ain't that easy and nice?




my camera is giving me problems with the colors arghh its time to buy a new camera =p the ice cream melted too fast for my liking due to the hot humid weather and my dearest the birthday boy tapping his foot impatiently to grab a slice complained that i was taking too long taking the photos haha..
Reviews were good but i should cut up the rolls thicker next time as the rolls apparently to them wasn't there at all =(

Swiss Roll Bombe (serves 4)

Ingredients
3 medium sized eggs
110g caster sugar + extra for rolling
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp plain flour, sifted
1 tbsp boiling water
some blueberry jam for spreading or fillings or your choice
2 tubs size of hagen daz ice cream flavours of your choice, soften
a round bowl


Method
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
  2. Grease the swiss roll baking pans with a little oil and line with greaseproof baking paper.
  3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs,sugar and vanilla extract with a electric beater and beat till ribbon stage (when the beaters are lifted, it should leave a trail on the surface for at least 10 secs.
  4. Add in sifted flour, in 3 batches and fold in gently,fold in the boiling water.
  5. Spread the batter into the baking pan evenly.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 mins or till the centre is springy to the touch.
  7. Spread a kitchen towel on the counter and sprinkle a little caster sugar over it.
  8. Turn the cake onto the towel and peel away the baking paper. Trim away any crisp edges.
  9. Roll the cake with the towel going inside and cool the wrapped roll on a rack, seam side down.
  10. Slowly unroll the cooled cake and spread the fillings over the cake, roll the cake up again.
  11. Cut the roll into equal sizes, thickness of your own preference.
  12. Cover the bottom and sides of the bowl with cling wrap.
  13. Arrange 2 slices of swiss rolls at the bottom of the bowl, with their seam sides facing each other and arrange the rest of the swiss rolls up the bowl until filled. (try to arrange the swiss rolls as close as possible leaving no gaps in between)
  14. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and freeze for 30mins till the swiss rolls are firm.
  15. Take the bowl out of the freezer, remove the cling wrap cover and add in the soften ice cream on top of the rolls.
  16. Cover the bowl again with cling wrap and freeze overnight.
  17. Remove the cling wrap, place a serving plate on top of the bowl, turn it upside down and remove the bowl and the plastic lining. If the bowl doesn't come away easily, wipe the outside of the bowl with a kitchen towel dampened with hot water, the bowl will come away easily.
  18. Slice with a sharp knife,dipped in hot water and serve.

9 comments:

Cooking Gallery said...

That looks fantastic!! I'm sure it tastes so good! Ice cream and swiss roll, hmmm, what can go wrong:)?!

Bakericious said...

Jess, good attempt and looks great! I am opposite of you, I love making birthday cake and I treat it as a challenge :p. My deco skill is sucks too so I always go for non bake cake or chocolate coating cake that you just put some fruits and can make the cake looks pretty :).

ann low said...

WOW! How I wish you can share this with me. Looks so yummy!I've not made this for a long time, thanks for reminding.

j3ss kitch3n said...

thanks cooking gallery,jess & anncoo!!

Bakertan said...

hey Jessie,

Your bombe looks very appetizing wor. kudos on the great effort! this Inspires me to do something similar. I shall look up my recipes on bombe.

btw where did you get the rounded glass bowl?

j3ss kitch3n said...

hi bakertan thanks i got it at those shops selling bowls i think ikea would have it too.

Hearty Bakes said...

Jess, 祝妳和家人过个快乐温馨的中秋节!

Sharon Moh said...

omg I'm totally going to make this! Looks fantastic! And yes, I'm still slowly trawling my way through all your recipes haha.

Sharon said...

I made this today. Well actually, I TRIED to make it today. I wrote a post about it, I really don't know what went wrong! I hope you don't mind I linked to you and also used one of your photos.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...