Well I have to admit it does look like bak gua (肉干) at first sight.... ohh but the taste, the taste is incomparable...
Crackles in your mouth... strong taste of cocoa, crunchiness of almonds all combined into that one piece.
If you haven fall in love with it, bake it and you will!
I'm submitting this to the Aspiring Bakers #3 My Favorite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011).
Chocolate Lace Crisps
(adapted from 孟老师的100道手工饼干)
Makes 12 pieces
1 tbsp milk
5g cocoa powder
5g plain flour
25g almond nibs
- Melt butter and sugar in a saucepan until butter and sugar dissolves completely, turn of heat and stir in milk until combined. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, add in cocoa powder, plain flour and almond nibs, stir to combine.
- Drop by 1/2 teaspoons onto a baking tray line with parchment paper, spacing at least 5cm apart as the batter will spread during baking.
- Bake in preheated oven of 170C for 15mins.
- Cool on the baking tray until it hardens before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. It will be very crispy once cooled completely.