I selected the one most presentable for photo takings lol so you won't be able to see my funny shaped buns hehehe.
It may look fine to you but i find that the yeast smell is quite prominent to me even the custard couldn't do anything to mask the smell did i went wrong somewhere?
Texture wise ok soft on the day it was bake but not as soft the next day. My buns are a little heavy as well i'm not sure is it because i added in too much fillings.
(adapted from Carol 烘焙新手必备的第二本书)
Ingredients for Custard Fillings
20g castor sugar
1/3 stick vanilla bean pod (i substituted with vanilla bean in bottle type)
1 egg yolk
20g castor sugar
10g corn starch
15g plain flour
10g unsalted butter
- Split the vanilla bean pod into half and scrape out the seeds and set aside. In a small saucepan, combine ingredients A including the vanilla bean pod and bring to a boil using low heat, remove the pod and discard, remove from heat.
- Beat together ingredients B until well combined.
- Stir ingredients C (except for butter) until well combined.
- Add combined ingredients C into combined ingredients B until well combined, then slowly add this mixture into ingredients A stirring constantly. Strain the mixture then pour back into the saucepan and heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens then remove from heat. Cover the surface with cling wrap to prevent skin from forming. Set aside to cool completely before using.
270g bread flour
30g plain flour
1/2 tsp instant yeast
30g castor sugar
30g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dough ingredients except butter and knead until the dough doesn't stick to your hands. Add in butter and knead until the dough is smooth and shiny and can be pulled into a thin layer without tearing. Proof the dough in a clean bowl covered with a wet cloth for 60mins.
- Once proofing is done, dust your working table with some bread flour and take the proven dough out from the bowl and punch out the air bubbles. Divide the dough into 8 equal parts (each weighing at approximately 65g) and round them in balls. Cover them with cling wrap or cloth and rest them for 15mins.
- Sprinkle some bread flour on the rested doughs to prevent them from sticking to your hands. Punch out the air bubbles from each rested dough and roll them with a roller into a 12cm circle. Place some custard fillings in the center of the dough, seal the edges thoroughly and shape them into balls and place them on a baking tray, seal side down.
- Place the tray of doughs into your oven and close the door, proofing them for another 60mins.
- Once proofing is done, remove the tray of doughs from the oven and preheat your oven to 170C. Brush the tops of the dough with egg wash and place the the remaining custard filling into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle and pipe on the top of the bread in circles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20mins, or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before serving.