My pictures do not do justice to these puffs, bake them yourself and immerse in the pleasure of these tiny morsels.
Take a look at more of the pictures. They will entice you definitely.
Finish them off with fillings of your choice, for me a rich creamy custard filling is definitely the best choice.
Rich Custard Puffs
(adapted from 第一次做西点)
Ingredients for Puff
50g fresh milk
5g caster sugar
90g cake flour, sifted
150g whole eggs, lightly beaten
- Put butter, fresh milk, water and sugar in a saucepan and boil until butter is melted, over medium heat.
- Add in sifted cake flour and remove from heat. Stir with a wooden spoon and return the saucepan to the stove and cook over medium heat.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it forms a dough and a thin layer of membrane is formed at the bottom of the saucepan. Remove from heat and scoop the dough into a large heat proof bowl.
- Gradually add in beaten eggs blend the mixture with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Scoop the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle and pipe 4cm circles on a lined baking tray spaced at least 2cm apart.
- Bake in preheated oven of 200C for 15mins, reduce the heat to 170C and bake for another 10mins then turn of the heat and let the internal heat of the oven bake the puffs for another 10mins, remove and cool.
4 egg yolks
50g caster sugar
12g corn starch, sifted
12g cake flour, sifted
300g fresh milk
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- Using a electrical mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar in a large heat proof mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add in sifted corn starch, cake flour, vanilla essence and stir well.
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil, then pour into the egg yolk mixture and stir to combine. Put the combined mixture into the saucepan again and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts to thicken considerably then stir in the butter until melted.
- Strain the mixture to obtain a smooth consistency, cover the surface with a plastic to prevent a skin from forming, cool the mixture before refrigerating.
- Pipe the cooled custard fillings into the puffs until full, chill the puffs before serving.