Zesty, chocolaty, orangy! Combined into a 21 cm tube pan what could go wrong? my latest experiment with chocolate and orange combi is a marbled chiffon cake! i had seen a couple of posts on marbled chiffon and they looked really pretty i decided to give it a try and more pics for you peeps!
I love the marble effect texture wise soft and fluffy, sweetness is just right with the chocolate being bitter sweet and orange zesty sweet i love this! Thanks to Jessie of Hearty Bakes for sharing these 2 recipes!
I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #1: Chiffon Cakes (Nov 2010) hosted by Small Small Baker.
Marbled Orange Chocolate Chiffon
(adapted from Hearty Bakes at here & here with slight modifications)
Ingredients for Orange Chiffon Batter
40g castor sugar
40ml vegetable oil
80g cake flour
80ml freshly squeeze orange juice
zest of 2 oranges
4 egg whites
30g castor sugar
- Whisk yolks and sugar until sugar dissolved.
- Add oil, orange juice, orange zest and stir till combined.
- Sieve in cake flour and stir to combine.
- Using a electric beater, whisk egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks forms.
- Fold 1/3 egg whites into yolk mixture gently, followed by the remaining egg whites.
- Set aside. Preheat oven at 170°C.
30g semi-sweet chocolate (i used cadbury gold 70% cocoa)
2 egg yolks
40g cake flour
40g cocoa powder
4 egg whites
- Double-boil (A), stir till combined and set aside to cool.
- Whisk (B) till pale in color, stir in chocolate mixture from step 1.
- Add (C) and whisk till combined.
- Sieve in (D)
- Whisk (E) till medium peaks.
- Fold in 1/3 egg whites into the egg/chocolate mixture gently, followed by the remaining egg whites.Set aside.
Now prepare a 21cm tube pan, following the pictures below to create the marbled effect chiffon, baked in the preheated oven at 170°C for 50mins. Remove from oven once done and over turn the pan to cool the chiffon.
*Note to prevent the top of the chiffon over browning, cover the top of the tube pan with a piece of aluminum foil.
(picture taken from Alex Goh Fruity Cakes)