These muffins stole the breathe out of me when i bite into them.... tangy sweet flavors bursts in thousand directions inside my mouth! Give them a try and you will be hooked! Not to mention they are so much softer then the normal muffins we bake! It's also very easy to make a couple of steps then off to the oven they go!
Orange Berry Muffins
(adapted and modified from Baking From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan)
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange (i used zest of 3 oranges =X)
About 3/4 cup buttermilk*
(i combined 1 cup of fresh milk and 1 tbsp of white vinegar and let it stand for 5mins before using, you can also replace the white vinegar with lemon juice)
2 large eggs
3 tbsp honey
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled (i used canola oil)
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups plain flour
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (omitted)
1 cup fresh/frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Prepare a 12-well muffins tray and line with muffin cups.
- Pour orange juice into a large measuring cup or bowl and pour in enough buttermilk to make 1 cup, whisk in the eggs, honey and melted butter/oil.
- In a large bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of orange strong. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk gently but quickly to blend, do not over-mix. Batter will be lumpy and bubbly.
- Stir in the blueberries and divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 22-25mins or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool before serving.